Built for Clients
Our nationally recognized lawyers handle environmental, toxic tort, energy, and climate issues facing business and industry. Together with our clients and their stakeholders, we provide innovative, business-minded solutions that protect bottom lines, meet environmental needs, and exceed expectations.
- Nearly 250 years of collective "big firm" experience.
- A team of partners, all of whom are widely recognized as preeminent lawyers in their fields.
- Dedication to business practicality and creative strategies.
- Unrivaled experience in complex litigation, regulatory, enforcement, transactional and public policy matters in our practice areas.
- All KMCL founders have been partners in major AmLaw 100 firms.
- KMCL attorneys have a wide range of diverse backgrounds, including a former Assistant U.S. Attorney, former corporate environmental counsel, several environmental engineers, a toxicologist, and experience in the insurance industry, among others.
- KMCL lawyers hold a variety of academic positions, including adjunct professorships at both Emory and Georgia State law schools, and are frequently asked to speak and write articles on emerging and complex environmental issues.
- KMCL attorneys are regularly featured in published lists of prominent lawyers, including Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - Atlanta, SuperLawyers Magazine - Atlanta, and Who’s Who Legal.
- KMCL attorneys boast leadership positions in various state bar organizations and trade associations.
KMCL lawyers have handled:
- Major multi-party environmental and toxic tort litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- The environmental aspects of large, complex merger and acquisition transactions for some of the country’s largest corporations throughout the United States.
- Some of the largest and most sophisticated Brownfield transactions.
- Workplace health and safety matters, including compliance counseling as well as representation before OSHA in enforcement context.
- The environmental aspects of the largest and most complex property portfolios.
- Complex and substantial coverage disputes, resulting in significant recoveries of cleanup costs.
- Environmental counseling, permitting, regulatory, and enforcement matters in nearly all states and many foreign jurisdictions.
- Complex transactions in regulated and voluntary carbon markets in the U.S. and abroad.
- Conventional and renewable energy transactions and strategic advice.
- Testimony on Capitol Hill and state legislatures on clean coal and carbon capture and storage.
- Counseling on compliance issues under Sarbanes-Oxley, 1934 Act, and related environmental cost estimation and disclosure obligations.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) matters, both as neutrals (mediators and arbitrators) and as advocates.
What Others Are Saying
Chambers awarded KMCL's Georgia office a Band 1 ranking and our Alabama office a Band 2 ranking for Environmental Law.
Eight members of KMCL were recognized by Best Lawyers in 2019 for their excellence in Environmental Law
Kimberley Hale is praised by clients for her "knowledge, expertise and quality work" and was recently awarded a "Women in Law Award" by Lawyer Monthly Magazine in 2019 for her work in Environmental Law.
Bob Mowrey was named “Environmental Lawyer of the Year” for 2016 and “Environmental - Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2018 by Best Lawyers in America, and clients have lauded his “good grasp of the business implications of his advice.”
KMCL has been lauded as "simply the best group of environmental attorneys I have ever encountered. They are true experts in the field. They are also creative, well-respected and always client-centered in their approach."
Clients praise KMCL for having "by far the best combination of expertise and practical advice I have ever seen from an environmental group."
Clients praise Doug Cloud, saying he "has a very thorough knowledge of environmental law, is very informative and is well-connected with the state regulatory agencies."
Clients report that KMCL's "expertise is five star" and the team consists of "experts in their field with a deep knowledge of both the legal and environmental issues."
Scott Laseter has been recognized by clients for his “very quick mind” and a style that has been characterized as “sharp, incisive, and aggressive, but tempered by reason.”
After nearly four decades in the environmental area, Rick Horder is recognized as an experienced and highly able practitioner, praised for his "thorough knowledge of environmental law and practical approach to resolving issues, as well as his prompt response times."
Dave Meezan is an expert in both environmental litigation and transactional work. He has recently worked with Dow Chemical on complex negotiations relating to a $150 million carbon-credit facility intended to fund Kyoto Protocol clean development mechanism projects.
KMCL attorneys have been described as providing "superlative legal skills, scientific knowledge, and regulatory awareness."
Clients have praised KMCL attorney's for their "attention to detail and ability to absorb complex information and develop strategy."
Subscribe to Alerts